Word on the street is that Hall-of-Fame offensive lineman Jonathan Ogden will be making his official announcement on retiring in the coming days. It’s certain that he will go down in history as the best to ever play offensive tackle, and here’s five other things that are sure to depart with him.
5. Classic Eastern Motors commercials - Most local NFL and NBA players are obligated by blood pact to be in Eastern Motors commercials. Jonathan Ogden said bump the car, his endorsements mirror his career – insurance.
4. Jared Gaither…Meet the Sportlight - Jonathan Ogden’s retirement puts Jared Gaither’s development on hyper-cycle. He’s not Ogden, but people will expect him to be. Much sooner than later.
3. Substantial drop off in the running game - The lifeline of the Ravens offense for so many years loses its most integral piece in Ogden. Say goodbye to sweeps and counter plays that go for 10-plus yards.
2. Veteran leadership - Along with Lewis, Ogden was among the earliest draft picks of the franchise. His presence meant a lot to younger players, and to the community.
1. Peace of mind for the starting quarterback - No matter who the QB will be, not having the assurance that the blind side is the best side is sure to mess with the psyche of the starter. And the coaching staff.