Graham Gano’s competition for the starting kicker spot is the baby-faced Mr. Hauschka. We know him as the kickoff specialist who booted that 54 yard field goal in the giant Houston win. Here’s some more info about him.
- A kicker at NC State after three years at Division III Middlebury (Vermont)
- 6’2, has very long legs
- From Needham, Massachusetts (Needham High School)
- Will be 24 by Week 1
- Was a walk-on, led the ACC in field goal percentage (16-18)
- Played three sports at Middlebury (soccer, football, lacrosse. great lax program in the past there)
- Never played football until his sophomore year at Middlebury, and immediately became All-Conference and All-New England. Also named 2nd team All-East by d3football.com
- Released by the Vikings on 8/3/08 after signing as a UFA in May.
- Was signed as a free agent the week leading up to Week 1, then was immediately released and cleared waivers, making him able to join the practice squad.
- In 2008, played in 8 games, 1-2 in field goals, had 32 kickoffs. 3 of those 32 were touchbacks
- He also has a very small head and looks like he’s 12.
It should be cool to watch this battle. Gano seems more qualified, but who knows what will happen. Also, if you didn’t see it, here’s Hauschka’s competitor Graham Gano’s player spotlight.