Ravens Draft Talk: 3/13

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Just some talk about the draft this weekend, and some players the Ravens have been looking at.  After trading for Anquan Boldin, the talk of going for a receiver in the first round has gone from very, very loud to almost nonexistent.  As of now, I’d say it’s a 60% chance of a cornerback, 30% chance of a defensive end and (this is new), a 10% chance of a running back. The running back is new, and a bit compelling.

Note: The Watch List has been updated

Devin McCourty has emerged as a contender for the #25 selection after a strong workout in front of Ravens scouts. (Source: ScarletKnights.com)

  • Devin McCourty seems to be the most talked about name currently.  Aaron Wilson says that he performed well for the Ravens, and his stock seems to be soaring.  Wilson also says that Joe Horitz was attending, the Ravens’ Director of College Scouting.  Remember that Eric DeCosta previously held that position, so Horitz has a lot of influence in the war room come April.
  • A guy that got very little buzz in terms of the Ravens until this week is Jahvid Best.  The SF Chronicle’s Ron Kroichick reports that only one running backs coach in the NFL came to Best’s Pro Day at Cal.  The one coach? Wilbert Montgormery, of the Baltimore Ravens. I don’t know why Best is being pursued by the Ravens, but Ozzie Newsome tends to know what he’s doing, so I’ll bite my tongue.
  • We hear from Aaron Wilson again, this time commenting on BYU tight end Dennis Pitta.  Apparently he also performed well at BYU’s Pro Day, and the Ravens were in attendance. It’s almost certain that the Ravens will select a tight end at some point in the draft. Pitta is expected to go in either the 2nd or 3rd round, so the Ravens may look his way.

I’ll be posting what will be a regular Sunday feature, where I go through all of the mock drafts in the past week on DC Pro Sports Report’s database, and breaking down who is projected at #25.  Last time was basically a battle between Arrelious Benn and Golden Tate. This time will definitely be a bit more competitive.  Should be interesting to see how it breaks out.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Next Ravens Game Full schedule »
Sunday, Oct 55 Oct1:00at Indianapolis ColtsBuy Tickets

Tags: Dennis Pitta Devin McCourty Joe Horitz Mock Draft Ravens Draft Ravens Draft News Ravens Mock Draft Ravens News Ravens Scouting

comments powered by Disqus