Here’s some quick thoughts and opinions on the first half of play:
- Overall, the Ravens look very raw and unpolished which is to be expected during preseason. However, for an experienced, veteran led, playoff team, you’d expect a little more by the second preseason game.
- Pass defense still needs work. Communication seems to be a problem and the lack of a pass rush makes it much tougher on the defensive backfield.
- The Ravens’ no-huddle offense is very effective and a move in the right direction. Joe Flacco looks much more comfortable and appears to be in full control of the offense.
- Bernard Pierce is one helluva back. Very elusive, yet extremely powerful. Although we haven’t seen much of him, he’s my favorite to backup Ray Rice.
- Unimpressed with Anthony Allen. He’s made way too many mistakes and continues to struggle. I’d be surprised if he makes the team.
- LaQuan Williams continues to impress. He’s very athletic with quick hands and fits well with the Ravens no-huddle, quick passing offense.
- Jacoby Jones could be last year’s Vonta Leach. Leach was the best free agent acquisition by the Ravens last offseason and Jones looks like he’ll add another dimension to the offense.
- Jameel McClain is a great linebacker. I like his instincts and nose for the football. He should be a key player for the Ravens for years to come.