As We get closer to the draft, I want to take some time to highlight the Ravens draft options in the first round. The three primary options are Trade up, Dont trade, and Trade down. There are other options inside those three, but those are in essence the 3 choices. Today Lets look at trading up.
The Ravens have 12 picks in this draft, that is way more than they actually need to be using. quite simply, if they draft 12 players, there is a good chance that at least 2 of them get cut in training camp. That is a wasted pick, they would be much better off using a pick or two to trade up in the first, second or third rounds.
In my estimation, there are about 5 guys the Ravens would trade up to get. Here they are.
1. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia- Ogletree is perhaps the best defensive prospect in this draft(i have him top 3, Bucky Brooks has him as the best prospect on D). If he weren’t a knucklehead he would be a top 10 pick all day long. He is significantly more physically talented than Luke Keuchly who went 8th last year. Ogletree has some bad off field issues, but if he can get his head on straight he could be a legitimate replacement for Ray Lewis and usher in a new era of Linebackers that are pass defenders.
2. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia- This one isnt super realistic but i will include it because Austin is a great looking prospect at a position of need. Austin looks like he will probably end up in the top 15, but if draft day proves differently and he starts to slip into the 20s the Ravens could strike and add an electric playmaker to their offense and give Flacco a new toy to play with.
3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal- I have Allen rated as my no.1 WR in the draft. He has been suffering because of a knee injury and has become the forgotten man of WR crop. Allen is as close to a Boldin like player as there is in the draft. He is a big strong bodied player who runs great routes and is a solid possession WR. I think Allen might be the best possible player the Ravens could get.
4. Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas- Vaccaro is a bit of an enigma to me. He is probably the best player in the class, but in terms of trading up to go get him, I am not sure how much return you would get on the investment. Not that Vaccaro wont be a good player, he will be, but is he so much better than Jonathan Cyprien that he is worth trading up to get? That is reall the question. Vaccaro would require a 8-12 spot trade up to go get, Cyprien would require at most a 4-5 spot trade up and might even be there at 32.
5. Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma- The least realistic of the bunch, but then again, Micheal Oher was supposed to be a top 15 pick and he started to slide and the Ravens went after him. It is possible that Johnson could slide for whatever reason and if he clears 17 or so, the Ravens should be going after him with a vengeance.
What Do you think Ravens Nation? Should the Ravens Trade Up for one of these guys?
Who Would be Worth Trading Up For?
- Alec Ogletree (40%, 49 Votes)
- Lane Johnson (25%, 30 Votes)
- Tavon Austin (19%, 23 Votes)
- Keenan Allen (11%, 14 Votes)
- Kenny Vaccaro (4%, 5 Votes)
- Other(let me know in the comments) (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 122