Numerology: The study of the purported divine, mystical or other special relationship between a number and some coinciding observed (or perceived) events.
It’s not really my thing. But the strangest thing jumped out at me as I was delving into this week’s Ravens matchup against the Dolphins…the number 5…over and over and over again.
(Insert the Theme from the Twilight Zone here.)
- The Ravens have played the Dolphins 10 times, splitting the series, 5-5.
- This will be game number five of the season for both teams.
- The Dolphins gave up five touchdowns to New Orleans on Monday.
- The Ravens haven’t lost to Miami in five years.
- Miami has intercepted opponents five times this year.
- Joe Flacco, number 5, comes off a 5-interception game, where he was 25 for 50.
- The Dolphins averaged five yards per punt return against the Saints.
- Torrey Smith led the Ravens last week with five receptions.
- Ray Rice had only five carries last week. (sad)
- Miami’s place kicker, Caleb Sturgis, scored five points versus New Orleans.
- The Raven’s averaged 5.5 yards per play against the Bills.
- Dolphins QB, Ryan Tannehill has thrown…you guessed it, five touchdowns this season.
- So has Joe Flacco!
- Tannehill has also thrown five interceptions this year.
- Terrell Suggs, number 55, may receive a five-figure fine for saying Roger Goodell had something to do with last year’s Watt-er Gate scandal during the Super Bowl.
Coincidence or a sign – what all this means is anyone’s guess.
Hopefully, it means the Ravens will ramp up the offense within the first five minutes of Sunday’s game. Or maybe they begin a five game winning streak against Miami. At the very least, the Ravens must fly home from Miami with a 5…as in “V” for victory!
My prediction: Ravens win, 25-15.