Ozzie Newsome: Grading Every Ravens Draft Class
2009 NFL Draft
Draft Grade: B
- Round 1: Michael Oher, OT (Ole Miss) 23rd Overall Pick
- Round 2: Paul Kruger, DE (Utah) 57th Overall Pick
- Round 3: Ladarius Webb, CB (Nicholls State) 88th Overall Pick
- Round 5: Jason Phillips, LB (TCU) 137th Overall Pick
- Round 5: Davon Drew, TE (East Carolina) 149th Overall Pick
- Round 6: Cedric Peerman, RB (Virginia) 185th Overall Pick
The Ravens first three draft picks were pretty good. Michael Oher had a strong first season. His performance declined in subsequent years. The 23rd overall pick was a starter on a Super Bowl team and he was with the Ravens through 2013. Paul Kruger was a good player who could get to the quarterback and make some plays. He was nothing special though. Ladarius Webb has been a good cornerback but has been hindered by injuries throughout his career.
The Ravens drafted three players that had a large impact on the team. This means they had a successful draft in the grand scheme of things. It isn’t about every pick being great, it’s about the impact the drafted players have on the field.
Next: 2010 NFL Draft