Exploring Ozzie Newsome’s Declining Draft Results
2 of 10
The 2009 Ravens Draft Results:
- Round 1: Michael Oher, OT (Ole Miss) 23rd Overall Pick
- Round 2: Paul Kruger, DE (Utah) 57th Overall Pick
- Round 3: Ladarius Webb, CB (Nicholls State) 88th Overall Pick
- Round 5: Jason Phillips, LB (TCU) 137th Overall Pick
- Round 5: Davon Drew, TE (East Carolina) 149th Overall Pick
- Round 6: Cedric Peerman, RB (Virginia) 185th Overall Pick
Before we begin, we have to define a good draft. In a good draft, you have to get a few key contributors or one superstar that changes everything. Even in good drafts there are misses. A good draft makes the team better.
Right off the bat, this myth is dispelled. This is a solid draft class. Michael Oher may not have been the Ravens next Jonathan Ogden, but he had a solid run as their right tackle. Ozzie Newsome clearly got more than third round production from Lardarius Webb. Webb has played in 102 games for the Ravens. He has had over 300 tackles and 12 interceptions. The Ravens got a key player in Webb. Oher and Kruger were solid contributors.