Exploring Ozzie Newsome’s Declining Draft Results
The Ravens 2011 Draft Results:
- Round 1: Jimmy Smith, CB (Colorado) 27th Overall Pick
- Round 2: Torrey Smith, WR (Maryland) 58th Overall Pick
- Round 3: Jah Reid, OT (UCF) 85th Overall Pick
- Round 4: Tandon Doss, WR (Indiana) 123rd Overall Pick
- Round 5: Chykie Brown, CB (Texas) 164th Overall Pick
- Round 5: Pernell McPhee, DE (Miss St.) 165th Overall Pick
- Round 6: Tyrod Taylor, QB (VT) 180th Overall Pick
- Round 7: Anthony Allen, RB (GT) 255th Overall Pick
I would argue that this is a good draft class. Jimmy Smith has been a solid cornerback for the Ravens. He isn’t Richard Sherman or Patrick Peterson, but he is a player that makes a difference. Torrey Smith had some real great moments with the Ravens.
The Ravens allowed him to move on because he was good, not great. The Ravens got a solid deep threat with Smith, but they thought they could replace what he brought to the table with a cheaper option. I liked Tandon Doss coming out of Indiana. Hind sight tells us this was a bad pick, but I see what the Ravens saw.
Pernell McPhee was just the next Arthur Jones. Once he became a real contributor, he took a pay day with the Chicago Bears. Tyrod Taylor is now a functional franchise quarterback for the Buffalo Bills. The Ravens had four really strong picks in this draft. Would the Ravens win the Super Bowl in 2012, without Jimmy Smith and Torrey Smith?