The Baltimore Ravens clinched the top playoff spot with their win against the Cleveland Browns
It didn’t start out very pretty, but the lights turned on for the Ravens in the final two minutes of the first half, and they stayed in control throughout the rest of their 31-15 win.
We’ll have to see what comes from Mark Ingram’s injury as more information is available, but there is plenty to like from this one, and a great opportunity for some key players to rest their bodies before the Divisional Round begins.
Quick thoughts on this one:
• The Ravens committed three penalties on fourth-down plays by the Browns, giving up free first downs. It was a sloppy start, but this is why the score was even as close as it was.
• L.J. Fort had two interceptions called back, and he head a terrific tackle on a kick return. What a great signing he has been.
• I waited as long as I can. Lamar Jackson usually doesn’t make it to the third note, but I wanted to try to contain myself this week. Jackson put the team on his back, running for more than 100 yards, throwing for 238 and three touchdowns, and basically pulling the team to a win. He’s the MVP, if he wins it or not. But I’m guessing he wins it handily.
• Mark Andrews made some terrific catches in this game, and has already put himself on that Mt. Rushmore of Ravens tight ends, along with Shannon Sharp, Todd Heap and Dennis Pitta. He seems well on his way to being the top dog before too long.
• In case anybody forgot, Justice Hill is also crazy fast. I mean… Whoa.
• The run defense, led by Brandon Williams and Michael Pierce, did a very admirable job on Nick Chubb. That guy is an absolute beast, and the Ravens held him to 45 yards on 15 carries. He probably earned 40 of them through sheer effort.
• Sam Koch doesn’t get as much work as he used to, but that position kick that went out at the Cleveland 3 was really impressive.
• I don’t think I’m sold yet on De’Anthony Thomas as a returner. You can see skills, but it’s just not happening yet.
• Please let Mark Ingram be okay.
• Bradley Bozeman certainly seems to be involved in a lot of good run plays. Coincidence?
• The Baltimore Ravens are 13-2, and have answered every challenge. Let’s hope for health through next week, and some extra prep by our coordinators before the Divisional Round. You have to feel good about this team’s chances right now,