Dec 28, 2014; Baltimore, MD, USA; Cleveland Browns lineman Joe Thomas (73) blocks Baltimore Ravens linebacker Pernell McPhee (90) at M&T Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mitch Stringer-USA TODAY Sports
Pernell McPhee: 540 snaps in 2014, 7.5 sacks, one forced fumble, four passes defensed
McPhee was an outstanding situational pass rusher in 2014, but unfortunately that made him a luxury for the Ravens. He landed a big contract with the Bears and figures to finally get his shot at a full time role in 2015.
But was McPhee’s season a product of the talent around him? Only time will tell, but you can’t deny that playing next to Terrell Suggs and Elvis Dumervil makes things a little easier when you’re trying to get after the quarterback.
Who might replace his production?
The Ravens have been open about their plans to plug career run stopper Courtney Upshaw into McPhee’s role, but he will have to prove he can handle it first. Third round draft pick Za’Darius Smith has a shot at some of his snaps as well and has impressed so far this offseason.
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?