Ravens stock report: Preseason week 1
Aug 13, 2015; Baltimore, MD, USA; Baltimore Ravens running back Javorius Allen (37) carries the ball as New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Tyeler Davison (95) defends during the second quarter in a preseason NFL football game at M&T Bank Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Amber Searls-USA TODAY Sports
Stock down: Javorius Allen
After impressing so far this offseason, Allen had a bit of a letdown performance Thursday night despite a lot of opportunities. He managed to gain only 35 yards on 11 carries (3.2 avg), and caught zero passes despite it being touted as his strong suit.
His competition, Lorenzo Taliaferro, didn’t fare any better. Taliaferro took 12 carries for 36 yards (3.0 avg), but got the call at the goal line and responded with a touchdown.
But the real story lies beneath the numbers. Allen had Pro Football Focus’ second worst offensive grade on the entire Ravens squad, as he struggled in pass protection. Taliaferro, meanwhile, had the best grade of any offensive player and was clean in pass pro.
As we all know, rookie backs tend to struggle in this area. But if Allen wants to win this competition, he has to protect the quarterback.
Next: Stock up
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?