NFL Draft Profile: Takkarist McKinley OLB, UCLA
NFL Draft: Takkarist McKinley has been a player that many people see the Baltimore Ravens targeting with the 16th overall pick. Here is everything you need to know about the standout from UCLA.
There are some things that I love about NFL Draft prospect, Takkarist McKinley and there are some things that concern me. The potential and the physical ability is there. He is a thick 6’2″ 265 pound edge rusher with the ability to play as a standing outside linebacker or as a defensive end with his hand in the grass. McKinley is in many ways a jack of all trades, but it is his ability as a pass rusher that excites the NFL.
McKinley put up solid production with the Bruins. In the 2016 season he recorded 10 sacks, 18 tackles for a loss and he forced three fumbles. In my opinion he does his best work out of a three point stance. Sometimes he plays a little too high and there isn’t enough bend in his hips. He has good speed, but he often gets caught up and tangled with the man trying to block him. McKinley has some work to do. I’d like to see a more explosive launch off the ball. The size, athletic ability and talent is there nonetheless.
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?
- Thick frame, great upper body strength
- Good acceleration, straight line speed
- Can play just about any position in the front 7
- Great inside move when engaged with offensive tackle
- Strong tackler
- A knack for forcing fumbles
- Pad level often too high
- Have to find his best fit in the NFL (4-3 vs. 3-4)
- Often gets too engaged with blocker, needs to learn to disengage better
- Would like a little more length from an edge player
Is he Worth the 16th pick?
McKinley has a ton of talent. I like him more as a 4-3 defensive end than a 3-4 outside linebacker. McKinley could be a great pass rusher. He has a knack for the big play. If the Ravens took McKinley, I wouldn’t object. His weaknesses are fixable with coaching. McKinley has talent. I think he will come into the NFL a little raw, but he has a high ceiling.