2018 Baltimore Ravens: 5 questions for the backfield
4. Should the Ravens make Alex Collins a workhorse?
The Ravens know that Collins is their most explosive player on offense. When Collins got the ball in 2017, he made stuff happen. The Ravens now understand that Collins has the goods, but should they run him into the ground? The Ravens have three running backs that they are excited about. With this Baltimore has a good problem to have. Do they go about this as a running back by committee or do they make it the Alex Collins experience 2018?
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?
Collins is by far the Ravens best option at the running back position. He’s your starter, he’s your best play-maker. Collins should get 60 percent of the work at the running back position. Dixon and Allen can take up the remaining 40 percent of the carries and targets in the passing game. Collins should be the center of Marty Mornhinweg’s universe. He should use the other running backs for two purposes. First, to keep Collins fresh, and secondly to keep the defense guessing.
Collins needs the most carries:
The biggest strength that the Ravens have at running back is that they can all do the same things. While Collins is the best in between the tackles, it’s not like Allen can’t get the job done in that function. All three running backs are dangerous in the open field and good options for the passing attack. Mornhinweg should use all three running backs but he is foolish if he takes too many carries away from Collins.