Ebony Bird scouting reports are officially underway and we start with Oklahoma linebacker Kenneth Murray, who would be a great fit for the Baltimore Ravens.
Kenneth Murray was a three-year starter for the Oklahoma Sooners after being recruited as a four-star outside linebacker (per rivals.com) for 2017. During his time in Lincoln, Murray was an accomplished linebacker who wreaked havoc on opposing offenses with his ferocious tenacity and hot-running motor. There are few players who can compete with Murray when it comes to production.
Murray is in contention with LSU’s Patrick Queen for the second-best linebacker spot in the 2020 NFL Draft after Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons. Don’t let the second-place crown fool you, though, as neither are slouches and will be day one starters.
Notable stats for Kenneth Murray (full stats here) 2017-2019:
325 tackles (102 in 2019)
36.5 TFLs (17.0 in 2019)
9.5 career sacks
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?
- High-floor, high-ceiling player who can start from day one
- Ideal size for the modern linebacker mold at 6’2″ 241-lbs.
- Tested well at the 2020 NFL Combine, showing off the athleticism he displayed at Oklahoma
- A strong, confident leader of the defense
- Produced at a Power-Five conference school
- Legitimate sideline-to-sideline speed (4.52 40-yard dash time)
- Lives in opposing backfields as both a run defender and pass rusher
- Always finds his way to the football
- Can absolutely lay the boom when he wants to; loves to hit
- Unproductive in the turnover department (zero interceptions in three full seasons)
- Over-pursues at times which causes him to misses tackles
- Reaction time can be delayed occasionally
- Struggles to shed blocks consistently
Fit with the Ravens:
Kenneth Murray can be the Baltimore Ravens top-dog at linebacker from day one. The defensive line Baltimore has in place will keep Murray’s jersey clean and allow him to make plays in the backfield. If you’re looking for someone to generate sacks and get tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage, then Murray is your guy.
There’s still work to be done in the passing game, but Murray is already an elite run defender and pass rusher. Considering the Ravens are aggressive in blitz packages, Murray would be a seamless fit in this defense. The scheme would allow Murray to be a stat-stuffing machine. Combine his sideline-to-sideline speed and elite tackling angles with his aggressive playstyle and you have yourself a serious difference-maker.
Kenneth Murray is an ideal target on day one of the draft for the Baltimore Ravens and would be a great value with the 28th overall pick. Murray is an instant contender for Defensive Rookie of the Year in this defense and would no doubt be a fantastic asset and perhaps round-out the team’s front-seven.