5. Ravens’ CB Jimmy Smith vs. Raiders’ WR Amari Cooper
Sep 13, 2015; Denver, CO, USA; Denver Broncos wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (10) runs after making a catch as Baltimore Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith (22) attempts to make the tackle during the first half at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Mandatory Credit: Chris Humphreys-USA TODAY Sports
With the 4th pick in this year’s draft, the Raiders took WR Amari Cooper of Alabama. Cooper was the clear cut best receiver in the class, and he looks to be a player that will make an impact immediately. Dominating the preseason, Cooper earned the top WR role in the offense.
However, week one was a bit of a struggle for him. Failing to make any big plays against a strong Cincinnati defense, Cooper showed that he is still just a rookie trying to learn the ins and outs of the NFL.
Despite his average week one, though, Cooper has the talent and skills to be able to bounce back and give Ravens’ CB Jimmy Smith a lot of problems. In the last two years, Smith has really come on as the Ravens’ star shutdown CB.
In week one, Smith shut down Broncos’ pro bowl WR Demaryius Thomas, holding him to just 7 catches for 60 yards. Look for Smith to shadow Cooper all day. It remains to be seen who will win the battle, but if Cooper plays to his potential, it will certainly be entertaining to watch.
More from Ebony Bird
- Will Baltimore Ravens be rewarded for risky Lamar Jackson decision?
- The Baltimore Ravens Big Gamble
- Ravens Super Bowl odds present fascinating insight on Lamar Jackson’s future
- Should Baltimore Ravens be interested in this recently released WR
- Do the Baltimore Ravens have serious interest in this free agent wide out?